Whether or not to freelance is a question a lot of creatives ask themselves when they no longer want to work for “the man” or simply want to try out a new lifestyle. Whatever the reason, freelancing is an attainable goal if you’re up to the challenge. Have a look at these lessons from Will Kenny and feel free to share your own freelance tips in the comments.
1. The power of technology to help one waste time is at least as great, if not greater, than its power to make one more efficient and productive.
2. Afternoon naps are among the best “fringe benefits” of running my own business, rather than working in a cubicle.
4. Passion is a behavior. You don’t have to experience heart-wringing emotions around your work to be devoted to it. You have passion when you find that you can’t stay away from working on your business, trying to make it better.
5. All of my time is valuable. That’s why there is only one rate for my time, and that’s it.
6. What I decide not to do today will have as much influence on my ultimate success as what I decide I will do
7. Clients who wrap up their requests with “This shouldn’t take you too long” are almost guaranteed to suck you into convoluted projects with countless changes and revisions. Expect endless hassles.
- Visit Freelanceswitch.com for the rest of the lessons.